California Building Energy Efficiency Standards (Title 24, Part 6)
California’s Building Energy Efficiency Standards for Residential and Nonresidential Buildings (Title 24, Part 6) contains requirements for the thermal emittance, three-year aged reflectance, and Solar Reflectance Index (SRI) of roofing materials used in new construction and re-roofing projects.
The requirements apply to new construction and to retrofits or additions that replace or re-coat at least 2,000 ft2 of roof space for nonresidential buildings and 1,000 ft2 of roof space for residential buildings, or 50 percent or more of the roof surface (whichever is larger). These requirements apply to nonresidential, high-rise residential, and low-rise residential buildings across California’s 16 climate zones. Additionally, roofing products used for meeting the Title 24, Part 6 requirements must be rated and labeled by the CRRC (see section 10-113 of Title 24, Part 6).
The roofing requirements can be found in the following sections of the 2019 Title 24, Part 6 standards:
- Section 10-113(a, b) (Certification and Labelling of Roofing Product Reflectance and Emittance)
- Section 140.1 (Performance Approach: Energy Budgets);
- Section 140.2 (Prescriptive Approach);
- Section 140.3(a)1 (Prescriptive Requirements for Building Envelopes);
- Section 141.0(b)2B (Additions, Alterations, and Repairs to Existing Nonresidential,
- High-Rise Residential, and Hotel/Motel Buildings);
- Section 150.1(c)11 (Performance and Prescriptive Compliance Approaches for Low-Rise Residential Buildings);
- Section 150.2(b)1I (Energy Efficiency Standards for Additions and Alterations to Existing Low-Rise Residential Buildings – Alterations - Prescriptive); and
- Section 150.2(b)2 (Energy Efficiency Standards for Additions and Alterations to Existing Low-Rise Residential Buildings – Alterations – Performance Approach
For more information on Title 24, please visit https://www.energy.ca.gov/programs-and-topics/programs/building-energy-efficiency-standards. You can also contact the California Energy Commission by phone (800) 772-3300 (toll-free in California) or 916-654-5106 (outside California) or email Title24@energy.ca.gov.
* The below resources are not official Title 24 documents. Please refer to the actual code for the requirements.
- 2019 Title 24, Part 6 Roofing Requirements Chart (CRRC reference document) 2019 Title 24, Part 6 Summary [PDF]