General Questions about the CRRC

About the CRRC


Logo and Label


Product Rating and Rated Products Directory

Rapid Ratings - For LS and OM

Rapid Ratings - For Test Labs

Random Testing

Testing & ASTM Standards

About the CRRC

1. Is the CRRC government-affiliated?

No. The CRRC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that maintains a third-party, independent product rating program to measure the radiative properties of the surface layer of roofing products. Government entities or other interested parties may refer to the CRRC as a reliable, credible source of radiative property data. This information is disseminated to the public at no charge via the online Rated Products Directory.

2. I'm new to the CRRC. Where do I start?

That depends on what you are trying to do.

  • If you are a roofing product manufacturer or seller who wants to rate a product, you must first become licensed with the CRRC (click here for more information).
  • If you are looking to become a CRRC member, thereby allowing you the right to use the CRRC Member logo, please click here. Note: membership is distinct from the Product Rating Program.
  • If you are a homeowner or other building owner, operator or facilities manager, architect, specifier contractor or roof consultant looking for specific product information, take a look at our Resources for Home and Building Owners page and online searchable Rated Products Directory.
  • The Rated Products Directory allows you to conveniently search for an dcompare roofing products by product type, minimum radiative property values, color, roof slope, brand, and more. Manufacturer contact information is provided for each product so you can directly request product specification sheets.
3. Are all of the roofing products on the CRRC Rated Products Directory "cool"?

The CRRC does not set a definition for "cool". We leave this to the code bodies and programs that reference the CRRC. They set minimum performance requirements for roofs. The CRRC simply displays the accurately measured radiative property values on our Rated Products Directory. A product's placement on the CRRC Directory does not guarantee that the product is "cool" as defined by any particular code body or program.

4. Does CRRC manufacture or sell roofing materials?

No.  We strictly maintain a rating system for the radiative properties of roof surfaces. We do not make, endorse, or sell any specific roofing products. Please visit our Rated Products Directory for information on CRRC rated products.

5. Is CRRC a California program?

No. While it is true that California's Building Energy Efficiency Standard, Title 24, refers exclusively to CRRC's Product Rating Program for cool roof credit, aside from the location of the CRRC headquarters office in Oakland, CA, CRRC is not a "California" program. Any other city or state code or program, mandatory or voluntary, may reference CRRC's Product Rating Program.


6. Company A produces and markets a roofing product which is manufactured from a coil of coated steel provided by Company B. Company B applies the coating to the coiled steel, but the coating is manufactured by Company C. In order to rate the roofing product, which company needs to become a CRRC Licensed Seller?

Company A must become a CRRC Licensed Seller, since they are the entity that is labeling the final product with their brand name and bringing it to market.

7. Our company needs to be licensed as an OM and LS. Is there a discount for being both?

Good news! All CRRC Licensees are considered the same, and you no longer need to be licensed separately as an LS and OM.

8. Company A manufactures a membrane that is required to be coated in the field by a product manufactured by Company B. Is it necessary for both Company A and Company B to become CRRC Licensed Sellers in order for the system to be CRRC rated?

No. The CRRC defines a roofing product as the "material designed, manufactured and constructed as the uppermost part of the roof assembly that is in direct contact with solar radiation." Only Company B needs to become a CRRC Licensed Seller.

9. What is the difference between a Licensed Seller (LS) and an Other Manufacturer (OM)?

The CRRC no longer distinguishes between Licensed Sellers and Other Manufacturers. All CRRC Licensees will indicate the intended customer, whether end-users, other roofing manufacturers, or both, on their product applications. More information can be found on our "Becoming a Licensee" page.

Logo and Label

10. Can my company list multiple Product ID numbers on one CRRC Product Label?

If you are using the Multiple Product Extended Label, you can list up to four products on a label. However, you cannot extend the label to include more than four products. The Single CRRC Product Label is product-specific and can only list the CRRC Product ID number associated with the one rated product upon which it is placed. If needed, a manufacturer can print all of the applicable labels onto the wrapper and then clearly indicate which one applies to the specific product. Neither product label may be altered in any way nor may any non-CRRC label be used to label CRRC rated products.

11. I can't find the CRRC Product Label. Where is it?

If you are a Licensed Seller with products rated with the CRRC, please contact us to request the Label files. Once we have verified that your product is an active LS product, we will email you the files.

12. I am a CRRC Licensee. Can I use the CRRC member logo on my product or product packaging?

No. The member logo is only for use by CRRC Members. If you are a CRRC Licensee and want to use the member logo, you must also become a CRRC member. The member logo can only be used on company letterheads, correspondence, and promotional materials. Click here for an instructional document with more specific, detailed information on appropriate member logo use.

13. How do I use the CRRC Product label?

Please see the instructional document entitled "How Do I Use the CRRC Product Label?". Please contact us directly if you need additional clarification.


14. If my company is a dealer of another company that is a CRRC Member, can I use the Member logo?

No. Member logos may only be used by the member company and its subsidiaries. You may only use the Member logo if your company is a member or if you are a direct subsidiary of a member company. Otherwise, please join the CRRC to use the logo.

15. What is the difference between a CRRC Member and a CRRC Licensee?

CRRC Licensees are distinct from CRRC Members.

A CRRC Licensee can: rate products with the CRRC (which are listed on our Rated Products Directory), and has the right to use the CRRC Product Label to reflect lab-tested solar reflectance and thermal emittance values. For more information, click here.

CRRC Member can: vote on critical committee issues, interface with leading industry colleagues, and use the CRRC Member logo for marketing purposes. Any individual or organization interested in rating roof surface radiative properties and in the energy efficiency of roofs can become a CRRC member. For more information, click here.

Product Rating and Rated Products Directory

16. How long does it typically take for my product to be listed on the CRRC Product Directory?

Once we receive the necessary paperwork & fees, product processing is usually quick on our end (we usually process within 15 days of your company sending the package).

17. Do you rate radiant heat barriers, or can you provide info about cool roofs combined with insulation?

No. The CRRC only looks at the surface properties of roofing materials.

18. How often does CRRC update the Rated Product Directory?

The CRRC updates the Rated Product Directory once a week. As long as we receive the appropriate applications and fee, you can generally expect that your product will be listed by the next update.

19. What are minimum requirements for SR and TE of products on the CRRC Product Directory?

The Cool Roof Rating Council does not set minimum requirements to rate products; any product may be rated with the CRRC regardless of the reflectance and emittance values, as long as it is tested in accordance with the CRRC-1 Program Manual.

20. Do you accept ENERGY STAR test results for a product rating?

No. The CRRC is a third-party program that only accepts test results from Accredited Independent Testing Laboratories. ENERGY STAR's program allows manufacturer-tested data, which does not coincide with the CRRC's objective of providing independent, non-biased data. However, if your company plans to rate products with both rating programs, ENERGY STAR will accept CRRC test results.

21. Is there a different test my company needs to do in order to rate a product as both low & steep slope if it was originally listed as just a low-slope product?

No  — we can change it. Products that are designed and rated for use on both low and steep slopes are exposed on the test farm at a low slope, so it is okay to go from low to low/steep. However, the opposite (going from steep to low/steep) is not possible; you would have to retest your product.

22. What do I do if I want to change the way my product is listed on the Directory?

If you want to change the way your product is listed on the Directory, we must receive this request in writing. You may either e-mail us at or fax us the request: 510-482-4421. Once we receive your request in writing, we will update our database with the changes. These changes will be reflected on our website's Rated Products Directory at the next update (updates occur once a week).

Rapid Ratings - For LS and OM

23. Can Rapid Ratings be used to meet Title 24 requirements?

Yes. Rapid Ratings serve as an alternative compliance option in addition to the aged rating equation (i.e. calculated aged value) in California's Title 24 Building Energy Efficiency Standards. However, the solar reflectance index (SRI) value that is calculated using the Rapid Rating value may change when three-year weathered values replace interim laboratory-aged values.

24. Is there a separate Rapid Ratings product label?

Yes. Upon receiving a Notification of Interim Product Rating from CRRC, you will also receive a CRRC Rapid Ratings Product Label. Upon completion of the three-year weathering process, the CRRC will send you your Notification of Aged Product Rating along with an aged product label. Just like the aged ratings replace a product's Rapid Ratings in the CRRC Product Directory, the aged product label replaces the Rapid Ratings product label.

25. If I submit a product for a Rapid Rating, does the product still need to complete the three-year weathering process?

Yes. Rapid Ratings is an optional step in addition to the standard product rating process. All products must still be tested for the initial product ratings by a CRRC Accredited Independent Testing Laboratory and undergo three-year weathering at a CRRC-approved Test Farm. Once the three-year weathering process is complete, the measured aged values will replace the interim Rapid Ratings in the online Product Rating Directory. Manufacturers will receive and must use an updated CRRC product label with 3-year aged values for all products manufactured immediately after the date the aged values become publicly available. 

26. What happens to CRRC rated products that do not have Rapid Ratings?

Rapid Ratings are optional, and are not substitutes for the three-year weathering process required for aged ratings. Manufacturers or licensed sellers that do not wish to participate in the Rapid Ratings program will continue to be listed in the CRRC product directory with "pending" aged values until the three-year weathering process is complete and the field-aged values are posted.

27. How long does it take for a product to receive a Rapid Rating?

The Rapid Ratings Program utilizes the Practice for Laboratory Aging of Roofing Products (ASTM D7897) to simulate the soiling and weathering of roofing product samples. This process is completed over the course of several days. Given shipping and application processing, we anticipate that a product will go from application to being listed on the CRRC Rated Products Directory within 4 weeks.

Rapid Ratings - For Test Labs

28. Where do I get the carbon black sample for the soot mixture?

25 mL bottles of carbon black can be obtained from the CRRC. Contact for more information.

29. What test methods do I use for products going through the Rapid Ratings process?

All products are still tested using the current test methods as approved by the CRRC. The Rapid Ratings process utilizes the Practice for Laboratory Aging of Roofing Products (ASTM D7897) to simulate the soiling and weathering of roofing product samples. The use of a test method for measuring Solar Reflectance and Thermal Emittance is determined by the type of product being tested. See ANSI/CRRC S100 and the CRRC-1 Product Rating Program Manual for more detailed information on test methods and product types.

30. Since the Rapid Ratings process uses the Practice for Laboratory Aging of Roofing Products (ASTM D7897) which calls for a 10 cm by 10 cm reference standard for calibration, whereas the CRRC requires minimum specimen dimensions that are larger, can the slide method still be used for a product that goes through the Rapid Ratings process?

Yes. The slide method can be used on specimens with a minimum usable area of 10 cm by 10 cm (or 4 in by 4 in).

31. How do I reconcile the different sizes between the reference specimen used for calibration and the test specimen?

Masking tape can be used to reduce the usable area of a test specimen to 10 cm by 10 cm for standard products (e.g., single-ply, factory-applied, field-applied) that are not profiled or variegated in color or texture.

32. Do I need to complete initial Solar Reflectance and Thermal Emittance tests prior to conducting the Practice for Laboratory Aging of Roofing Materials?

Yes. If an application is submitted for a Rapid Rating and the product has already previously received initial ratings, a Rapid Ratings laboratory is required to take the initial Solar Reflectance and Thermal Emittance measurements for the three test specimens sent by the manufacturer, as well as the laboratory-aged measurements after conducting Practice for Laboratory Aging of Roofing Products (ASTM D7897). If a product is concurrently receiving its initial test results and Rapid Ratings, the lab must complete the Initial Test Results Report (Form F-2) in addition to the Rapid Ratings Test Results Report (Form F-16).

33. If we plan to include ASTM D7897 in our ISO 17025 Scope of Accreditation when we renew our accreditation so that we can meet one of the requirements for becoming a CRRC Rapid Ratings Lab, when are we required to provide proof of accreditation?

Your lab is required to send a copy of your Updated Scope of Accreditation immediately after it is renewed by the accreditation agency. Contact for more information.

34. When is the next CRRC Rapid Ratings training workshop?

Laboratory trainings typically occur annually in the late spring. Additional trainings may be offered if there is sufficient interest. Contact for more information.

Random Testing

35. How is a Licensee expected to comply with the Random Testing Program?

When a Licensee rates a product, that company must supply contact information for the manufacturing facility/location from which the final product can be collected. The Licensee must also provide contact information for primary and secondary Licensee contacts, who CRRC staff can contact in the event that the manufacturing facility contact is unable to provide a sample. The above information is submitted on the Initial Product Rating Application (CRRC-F-3).

36. How does the Random Testing Program work?

When a company becomes licensed with the CRRC as a Licensed Seller, that company agrees to participate in the CRRC's Random Testing Program (OM products are not selected for random testing). Each year, a percentage of the products listed with the CRRC are selected at random for retesting.  A sample is collected either from a distributor or contractor carrying the selected product or directly from the point of manufacturing, and is tested to verify that the rated values reflect what is being sold in the marketplace. The longer that a product has been listed on the Rated Product Directory, the more likely that product is to be chosen each subsequent year for random testing.  If the measured values are more than 0.05 below the rated values, the product fails random testing and the Board of Directors will take corrective action. Chapter 3.6 of the CRRC-1 Product Rating Program Manual Appendix 5: Random Testing Procedures is the official CRRC Random Testing procedure.

Testing & ASTM Standards

37. What is the difference between an Accredited Independent Testing Laboratory (AITL) and an Accredited Manufacturer Testing Laboratory (AMTL)?

An Accredited Independent Testing Laboratory (AITL) is not affiliated with a roofing manufacturer. Solar reflectance and thermal emittance tests for standards products must be conducted by an AITL. An Accredited Manufacturer Testing Laboratory (AMTL) is a laboratory that is affiliated with a Licensed Seller or Other Manufacturer. AMTL test results may be used for Custom Color Products only. Click here for a list of participating laboratories.

38. How do you ensure standardization of the Rating Program across all of your Accredited Independent Testing Laboratories (AITLs)?

Every year, the CRRC requires its AITLs to perform a mandatory Interlaboratory Comparison, where all the AITLs test the solar reflectance and thermal emittance of several products of different product types, to ensure that the equipment at each laboratory yields consistent results for the same product sample.

39. Can one of the CRRC Accredited Independent Testing Laboratories come out to test the solar reflectance and thermal emittance of a roofing product on site?

Please contact one of the AITLs on our website directly with your inquiry. If an AITL agrees, that does not mean that the test results can be listed on the Rated Products Directory. Should you choose to contact an AITL with a request like this, it is understood that this request is not part of the CRRC Product Rating Program.

40. How often does the CRRC hold lab training workshops for Accredited Independent Testing Laboratories (AITLs) and Accredited Manufacturer Testing Laboratories (AMTLs)?

In-person lab training workshops are held annually (typically in the spring). Please contact us if you are interested in participating in the next lab training.

41. What is the difference between rated values and tested values?

Tested values are radiative properties measured by an AITL or AMTL. Rated values are the radiative properties that are listed on the CRRC Product Directory and the CRRC Product Label. The rated values must be less than or equal to the tested values; in otherwords, it is acceptable to underreport but not overreport.

42. When is the next Test Farm Placement date?

Test Farm Placement dates occur on the first day of every other month throughout the year, beginning with January 1.

43. What test methods does CRRC use?

The approved solar reflectance and thermal emittance test methods vary by product type and are specified in the CRRC-1 Program Manual. To rate a product with the CRRC, these tests must be performed by an Accredited Independent Testing Laboratory (AITL).

General Cool Roofing Questions

1. Will cool roofs increase my heating bills in the winter months?

While cool roof owners may pay slightly more to heat their homes, this penalty is usually insignificant compared to the cooling energy savings during the summer. Why?

  • In the wintertime, the sun is much lower in the sky and less intense. (Passive solar heating usually occurs from sunshine streaming through windows this time of year).
  • There is a higher incidence of cloudy days, and in some regions the roof is covered in snow for long periods.
  • Winter days are shorter (fewer hours of sunshine).
  • A cool roof will not shed more heat proportionate to other types of roofing materials at night or on cloudy days. It will simply limit the amount of heat entering the building on hot summer days.
2. Are cool roofs affordable?

Yes. Many cool roof varieties cost the same amount as other comparable roofing materials, and for those that cost slightly more, the difference is often quickly recovered in savings from reduced energy costs.

3. What is SRI and how is it measured?

The Solar Reflectance Index (SRI) is a measure defined by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory as the roof's ability to reject solar heat, as shown by a small temperature rise. It is defined so that a standard black (reflectance 0.05, emittance 0.90) is 0 and a standard white (reflectance 0.80, emittance 0.90) is 100. Due to the way SRI is defined, particularly hot materials can even take slightly negative values, and particularly cool materials can even exceed 100.

4. Which solar reflectance and thermal emittance values are used to calculate the SRI values?

The SRI values for initial SRI are based on the initial solar reflectance and thermal emittance values listed for each product in the CRRC Rated Product Directory. The aged (three year) solar reflectance and thermal emittance values listed in the Rated Product Directory are used to determine the aged SRI value. This differs from the California Energy Commission (CEC) SRI value for Title 24 compliance, which is calculated by using only the aged radiative properties' values. If the aged values are not available, the CEC SRI value is calculated using the calculator worksheet found here. Thus, the CRRC initial SRI value may NOT correlate with the California Energy Commission (CEC) SRI value.

5. What are Solar Reflectance and Thermal Emittance?

Solar reflectance and thermal emittance are the two radiative properties used to measure the "coolness" of a roof.

6. How do I compute the Solar Reflectance Index (SRI) of a roofing product?

SRI is an alternative method for considering the radiative properties of roofing materials. SRI is defined by ASTM Standard E1980-01 and is a calculation that uses solar reflectance and thermal emittance. EPA summarizes SRI as "the relative steady-state surface temperature with respect to the standard white (SRI=100) and standard black (SRI=0) under the standard solar and ambient conditions." SRI is often used as an alternative for products that have a low thermal emittance but a very high solar reflectance - the theory is that the higher solar reflectance will outweigh the impact of a low thermal emittance.

7. Are there other "cool" options besides white roof coatings?

Yes. Cool roofs are available in almost every common product type in a wide variety of colors – including "cool" black in some cases. You can filter by color in our Rated Products Directory.

8. Can the CRRC tell me which product is best for me?

No. While the CRRC can answer many general questions about the radiative properties of roofs, the CRRC cannot recommend specific products or types. Once you have looked at the Rated Products Directory, you are encourage to contact the manufacturers of the products in which you are interested, or contact a private contractor or roof consultant to assist in choosing the "coolest" product for your home or project.

Other Rating Systems, Codes, and Programs

1. Can the CRRC tell me about cool roof rebate programs in my area?

Several electric utility companies offer rebates for the installation of cool roofing materials in new construction and/or roof retrofits. Please check with your local utility to find out if there are cool roof rebates in your area. Visit for more detailed rebate information.

2. Does the CRRC or Title 24 accept ENERGY STAR ratings?

No, the CRRC requires independent testing which must be performed by a CRRC accredited laboratory. ENERGY STAR ratings were accepted for Title 24 compliance in the past, but are no longer; products must be rated with the CRRC.

3. What is the CRRC's relationship to California Energy Commission's Building Energy Code, Title 24?

The CRRC has been referenced by Title 24 as the supervisory entity for solar reflectance and thermal emittance data that Title 24 accepts for compliance. In order to be considered a "cool roof product" for Title 24 compliance, the product must be rated with the CRRC in addition to meeting other Title 24 requirements. Please visit the CEC website for additional requirement information:

4. What is a green building program? Can the CRRC tell me about some different green building programs?

Green building is a growing trend in American architecture. To provide guidance on what makes a building "green": several organizations have developed voluntary guidelines and certification programs. Some jurisdictions have adopted these green building programs as mandatory requirements. For example, New York City requires that many of the city's new municipal buildings meet LEED requirements. Several other jurisdictions, including Seattle and Atlanta, have adopted similar measures.


Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is the US Green Building Council's Green Building Rating System, a voluntary certification program for sustainable buildings. Under LEED Version 4, the following rating systems award up to 2 points for heat island reduction, including options for using cool roofs, under the Sustainable Sites Credit: Building Design and Construction (BD+C), Building Operations and Maintenance (O+M), Neighborhood Development (ND), and Homes. LEED Interior Design and Construction (ID+C) awards up to 1 point under Innovation: Heat island reduction. To read more about the options and requirements for each rating system, visit

Green Globes

Green Globes V.2 Rating System is a questionnaire-based green building rating system, which allots up to 1000 points for different measures in several categories. Under the "Energy" category, up to 6 points can be earned for using high albedo, or "cool" roof surfacing. To earn this credit, Green Globes requires 40% or more of the exposed roof surface to either be a vegetated roof surface or use roofing materials with a Solar Reflectance Index (SRI) value greater than or equal to 78 for low-slope roofs or 29 for steep-slope roofs, in Climate Zones 1 through 5.

5. Does the CRRC have information on additional energy resources?

The following websites provide users with an initial perspective on what codes a given state or jurisdiction has adopted. It should be noted that compliance is the responsibility of the building owner and that the local jurisdiction should be contacted to confirm the code(s) that are adopted and in effect.

Energy Codes Ocean Online Code Environment & Advocacy Network

Energy Codes Ocean, previously the Building Codes Assistance Project, provides visual overviews of state energy code adoptions for both residential and commercial codes in the form of interactive maps of the U.S.

Department of Energy (DOE)

The Department of Energy maintains a building energy code program that includes an interactive map of the United States that allows users to check the status of energy codes in any state by simply clicking on the state(s) in which they are interested.

6. What information can the CRRC give me relating to energy codes?

Two primary organizations, the International Code Council (ICC) and the American Society of Heating Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) have developed National Model Energy Codes. These codes are not mandatory or enforceable until a jurisdiction adopts them as part of regulation or law. In the U.S., many states and jurisdictions have adopted these organizations' codes, while others like California and the City of Chicago have developed their own.

California's Title 24

The California Energy Commission's Building Energy Efficiency Standard, Title 24, includes a cool roof prescription for low-slope (less than 2:12) and steep-slope (graeter than 2:12) nonresidential, high-rise residential, and residential roofs for new construction and major re-roofing. Section 10-113 requires that cool roofs be tested and labeled by the Cool Roof Rating Council.

Title 24 defines a cool roof as any roofing product with a minimum three-year aged solar reflectance of 0.63 when tested in accordance with CRRC-1, a minimum three-year aged thermal emittance greater than or equal to 0.75 when tested in accordance with CRRC-1, and a minimum SRI of 75 for low-sloped roofs. For steep-sloped roofs, minimum aged solar reflectance is 0.20, minimum aged thermal emitance is 0.75, and minimum SRI is 16. For more details, visit

Cool roofs are not a mandatory measure for Title 24. Nonresidential buildings with low-sloped roofs can comply by choosing one of the following compliance options: the Performance Approach, the Envelope Component Approach or the Overall Envelope Approach (the latter two are under the larger umbrella, Prescriptive Approach). Depending on which option is chosen, a cool roof may or may not be necessary for compliance.

City of Chicago

The Chicago Energy Conservation Code includes a requirement for cool roofs as a way to mitigate the Urban Heat Island Effect.

International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)

The International Energy Conservation Code is a national model energy code produced by the International Code Council (ICC). The code contains minimum energy efficiency provisions for residential and commercial buildings, offering both prescriptive- and performance-based approaches. The 2003 and 2006 versions of the IECC reference ASHRAE 90.1.

ASHRAE Standards 90.1 and 90.2

The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) maintains energy standards to define acceptable performance levels.

ASHRAE Standard 90.1 (2004 edition)

Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings, section, allows reduced roof insulation (U-factor) if a cool roof is used. ASHRAE 90.1 defines a cool roof as having a minimum solar reflectance of 0.70 and minimum thermal emittance of 0.75. This allowance is permitted in climate zones 1, 2, and 3 only.

ASHRAE Standard 90.2 (2004 edition)

Energy Efficient Design of Low-Rise Residential Buildings, section 5.5, also allows for reduced roof insulation with a cool roof, but sets the minimum solar reflectance at 0.65 or allows an SRI value of 75. SRI is a calculation measured from 0 to 100, using solar reflectance and thermal emittance, defined by ASTM E1980. Section 5.5 also states that values for solar reflectance and thermal emittance shall be determined by a laboratory accredited by a nationally recognized organization, citing the Cool Roof Rating Council as an example. This allowance is permitted in climate zones one, two and three only.

ASHRAE also produces Advanced Energy Design Guides, which include the Advanced Energy Design Guide for Small Office Buildings and Advanced Energy Design Guide for Small Retail. These guides provide energy-efficiency measures that can be directly applied depending on the project and will reduce energy use compared to ASHRAE Standard 90.1-1999. In climate zones 1, 2, and 3, which cover the southern states of the U.S., the design guide includes a suggestion for cool roofs and references the CRRC Product Rating Program.

7. What roof rating programs are out there?

Roof rating programs provide a source of radiative performance data for roofing products, as well as a means of exploring and comparing different roofing options. There are currently two nationally recognized roof rating programs in the United States: the Cool Roof Rating Council's Product Rating Program and the Environmental Protection Agency's ENERGY STAR Reflective Roof program.

The Cool Roof Rating Council

The Cool Roof Rating Council maintains a credible and unbiased third-party rating program for measuring and reporting the radiative properties of roof surfaces. The CRRC publishes the measured solar reflectance and thermal emittance values in their online Rated Products Directory and on CRRC Product Labels for use by roof specifiers, code officials, architects, contractors, engineers, and building owners. Radiative property values are measured by CRRC Accredited

Independent Testing Laboratories, not by manufacturers (this excludes Custom Colors for factory-applied metal coatings, which be measured by CRRC Accredited Manufacturing Testing Laboratories). The CRRC does not define what is "cool" or set minimum requirements. Any roofing product may be listed on the CRRC Directory with its respective measured values when rated in compliance with the CRRC Product Rating Program Manual (CRRC-1). Using the online Rated Products Directory, interested parties can search through a comprehensive list of ratings and narrow their results to products that meet their project criteria.


The Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) ENERGY STAR Reflective Roof program is complementary to the CRRC Product Rating Program. Manufacturers can choose to rate their products with ENERGY STAR as long as they meet ENERGY STAR's minimum specifications. The ENERGY STAR program accepts either ratings provided from the manufacturer's own testing or ratings from the CRRC Product Rating Program.